Monthly Archives: December 2018

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Celebrity spotting in Whyalla

Many may have seen singer Carmen Smith around town this week.
Nanjing Night Net

She is most recognised from the Voice Australia and as the lead female vocalist in the film clip for Guy Sebastian’s hit song, Gold.

Currently on tour with Guy Sebastian, Carmen performed at the Middleback Theatre on Tuesday and Wednesday night to a sold out show.

As a Sydney girl, it was Carmen’s first visit to Whyalla but she said it was somewhere she had always wanted to see.

“I know about Whyalla because my husband’s parents when they first moved from Brazil, this is where they came,” she said.

“My brother-in-law was born here and then they moved to Adelaide and that’s where my husband was born.”

Whyalla was the first stop on the regional tour for Guy and Carmen before they head to Renmark and then onto dozens of other locations across the country.

“There is a lot of driving involved but the thing with the regional tour is that we get to see the country,” Carmen said.

“I just love that Guy can do a tour like this because I feel that regional places don’t always get those kind of concerts.”

Carmen said she loved performing at more intimate venues such as in Whyalla.

“It was amazing and it was good fun,” she said.

“The problem with massive theatres is that you can’t see anyone and I like seeing their faces.”

Carmen has been a friend of Guy Sebastian’s for almost 10 years now, first meeting when she auditioned to be one of the singers on his 2004 Armageddon tour.

“We have just been friends ever since,” she said.

Last year Carmen made it through to Joel Madden’s team on the Voice after performing a superb rendition of Alicia Key’s song ‘How come you don’t call me?’

However, controversy surrounded the popular contestant when she was asked to leave the show for featuring in Guy’s song Gold.

“I actually can’t believe it has been a year since all of that happened, it was a bit of a crazy time but now I can look back at it and for me it was the right thing to happen,” Carmen said.

“The show was amazing but it was like one moment in 10 years of singing.”

Carmen said she went into the show with a relaxed attitude and was never out to win.

“It was never a competition for me, it was more to prove to myself that I was a good singer and now I am back on tour doing exactly want I was doing before,” she said.

While only a short visit, Carmen said she enjoyed seeing the town and could not believe the redness of the dirt.

The show has received rave reviews from audience members who were left wanting more.

On Tuesday night, some dedicated fans met Guy Sebastian and were lucky enough to snap a photo with the star.

CONCERT: Kirsty Davis caught Guy Sebastian after he left his concert on Tuesday.

LUCKY: Emily Boundey was lucky enough to meet Guy Sebastian after his concert on Tuesday night.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

A million reasons to buy a Pink Bun

Whyalla Bakers Delight will join more than 600 Bakers Delight bakeries this month aiming to raise $1.2 million for the Breast Cancer Network Australia (BCNA).
Nanjing Night Net

From today until May 22, Whyalla Bakers Delight will be donating 100 per cent of the sales from its pink finger buns as part of its pink bun campaign.

With Bakers Delight bakeries across the country turning pink, the aim is to raise a record breaking $1.2 million to help fund BCNA’s work to ensure that women diagnosed with breast cancer, and their families, receive the very best treatment, care and support possible.

The money raised thanks to Bakers Delight customers will support BCNA’s free information resources, such as the My Journey Kit, a resource for women newly diagnosed with breast cancer.

The Whyalla Bakers Delight team hope to make this their most successful Pink Bun campaign ever, aiming to do their bit to better the $1million raised in 2012. Last year Whyalla Bakers Delight raised $2075 for the Pink Bun campaign and franchisee Stephen Lisk said this year the team is looking to raise more than $2500.

“With the generous support of the Whyalla community, we think we can beat this easily,” Mr Lisk said.

A breast cancer survivor herself, BCNA chief executive officer Maxine Morand said the support provided through the Bakers Delight Pink Bun campaign is just as important as ever.

“The Pink Bun campaign raised more than $1 million for BCNA in 2012, and last year 81 per cent of women newly diagnosed with breast cancer in Australia received a My Journey Kit,” Ms Morand said.

“That’s a figure we’re incredibly proud of at BCNA, but one that wouldn’t be possible without the help of Bakers Delight and their customers.”

With Mother’s Day only a few weeks away, Ms Morand said buying pink buns was a nice way to say Happy Mother’s Day while supporting grandmothers, mothers and daughters across the country.

“Why not make a difference this Mother’s Day by buying your mum or kids a meaningful treat?” Ms Morand said.

“Hundred per cent from the sale of your Pink Bun will come directly to BCNA to support Australians affected by breast cancer.”

Customers will also be encouraged to leave a personal message on a Pink Lady silhouette for a gold coin donation.

The message may be in support or memory of a loved one with breast cancer in their family or community.

The silhouettes will then be displayed around each local bakery during the campaign.

TURNING PINK: Supporting the pink bun campaign were (from left) chemotherapy patient Leanne Lines and Whyalla Bakers Delight staff sales manager Sarah Haake and sales assistant Kim Pudney.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

PATS review overdue

OUT OF POCKET: Resident Carl Le Bon said the Patient Assistance Transport Scheme needed to be updated to better rflect the rising costs of living.Whyalla resident Carl Le Bon has welcomed the announcement by the state government that they will be reviewing the Patient Assistance Transport Scheme.
Nanjing Night Net

Mr Le Bon said the PATS system was long overdue for a review and that things needed to change to better reflect the current cost of living.

“The system is damaged,” Mr Le Bon said.

“The only changes to the PATS scheme in the last 13 years is that a pensioner can have a single night’s accommodation instead of two nights if required, previously you had to have two nights.

“The other change is the difficulty in accessing the system particularly in the past 18 months.”

Currently the PATS system provides a partial subsidy to pay for travel and accommodation costs for rural and remote South Australians travelling more than 100 kilometres to see a specialist.

Mr Le Bon said patients can use the subsidy for accommodation of their choice with the current reimbursement up to $66.

Diagnosed with leukaemia in 2000, Mr Le Bon said during this time accommodation was around $87 per night and nowadays you would be looking at $150 per night.

As for fuel, Mr Le Bon said petrol was around 85 cents per litre in 2000 but now it costs $1.50 to $1.60 a litre.

“There’s been no increase to PATS benefits since that time,” Mr Le Bon said.

“The cost of living has increased and this hasn’t been reflected by the PATS benefits.”

In late 2011, the PATS system was updated for all patients across Country Health SA to make the payment process more efficient, consistent, faster and fairer.

Mr Le Bon said now that everything needs to be done electronically, it isolates many elderly people or people unfamiliar with using this method.

“Some elderly people don’t own a card and they don’t want to give their bank details so they can’t get benefits,” Mr Le Bon said.

Mr Le Bon said there were residents in Whyalla needing the care of medical specialists in Adelaide but the current system was too difficult for them to navigate.

“People are putting themselves at risk at the moment with the way the system is managed,” Mr Le Bon said.

“Instead of having one page to fill out they now have three.

“Especially elderly people become so disillusioned to the amount of hoops they have to jump through to get anywhere.”

Mr Le Bon said the elimination of advance payments has made a significant impact on many patients with tight incomes.

Mr Le Bon said a single pensioner he knows, simply cannot afford to pay for accommodation in Adelaide upfront and then wait for the PATS reimbursement. “He sleeps in his car and then drives home the next day,” Mr Le Bon said.

Mr Le Bon said with the Whyalla hospital’s new cancer unit being built, he expects that he may be asked to transfer his regime to Whyalla but he will be saying no.

“I’ve had the same support team for 13 years, these are the people that have kept me alive, why should I change?” Mr Le Bon said.

Mr Le Bon said the current system needed to change to better accommodate the regional South Australians that are being neglected because of their postcode.

“If you happen to live “outside of SA” which ends somewhere past Port Wakefield, you’re penalised,” Mr Le Bon said.

“It needs updating, it needs to be progressive not regressive.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Ideal conditions for hockey

ROUND two of East Gippsland hockey was played in relatively warm and sunny windy conditions.
Nanjing Night Net

In the women’s competition, Sale defeated Orbost in a closely contested game in ideal conditions at Stephenson Park.

A goal early in the second half by Emily Carrolan for Sale was the only score of the match.

Bairnsdale defeated Wellington 6-0 with goals from Else Bramwell (three), Trish Comer, Kellie Whitechurch and Taryn Haylock.

Swan Reach had a solid 5-0 win over Nagle. Goals were scored by Shana Snell (two), Beck Corben, Sarah Grixti, and Jude Lunny.

EMILY Carrolan continued her scoring, helping the Sale’s men’s team draw against Orbost.

The match began at a fast pace with Sale able to score within the first minute after a breakaway move which saw Carrolan find the net.

Despite Orbost pressing hard and looking dangerous at times, Sale’s 1-0 lead remained intact at half-time.

The second half saw experienced campaigner Brendan Coulton level the scores.

Both sides continued to press hard and try to get a break but neither side was able to trouble the scorer.

Bairnsdale had an emphatic 15-0 victory at home against Wellington. Ed Long scored six goals, Riley Simpson four, Ry Mutimer three, Scott Smith two and Greg Wood one.

Nagle showed again it will be the team to beat with a 4-1 win over Nagle. Oscar Crunden-Smith (three) and Chas Newcomen scored for Nagle, while Swan Reach’s goal came from Dale Murrell.

In a fast high quality game, Nagle was too strong in the men’s. Swan Reach tried hard all day but was unable to match the superior firepower of Nagle.

MAFFRA had the bye.

ON Saturday Swan Reach will travel to Wellington, Orbost will host Maffra and Nagle will host Sale. Bairnsdale has the bye.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Long-running Manningham council dispute settled

A three-year defamation dispute between former Manningham councillor David Ellis and a Chinese welfare organisation has been settled.
Nanjing Night Net

Mr Ellis and former councillor Stephen Mayne were sued by the Chinese Community Social Services Centre Inc (CCSSCI) over comments they made to the media in 2010.

The pair criticised the CCSSCI for submitting expansion plans for Donvale’s On Luck Nursing Home directly to the state government without properly consulting the Manningham Council.

It prompted CCSSCI to take legal action against the pair.

Manningham council chief executive Joe Carbone confirmed that the matter between Mr Ellis and the CCSSCI had reached a confidential settlement ‘‘earlier this year’’.

“The council’s insurer took carriage of the matter. The total cost to council was the insurance policy deductible (excess) of $5000,” Mr Carbone said.

Mr Ellis, who served as a Mullum Mullum ward councillor between 2008 and 2012, told TWR: “I haven’t had to pay anything or make any apology”.

Mr Mayne settled out of court in December 2011, and part of the settlement was to apologise “for any damage caused to CCSSCI’s reputation”.

The controversy surrounding the 120-bed expansion of the nursing home divided the former group of Manningham councillors.

In 2010, a councillor conduct panel found former councillor Fred Chuah guilty of misconduct over his dealings with the centre.

While on council, Mr Chuah also served as the CCSSCI chairman and was married to the CCSSCI chief executive.

The conduct panel found Mr Chuah deceived and misled the council about the remuneration he received from CCSSCI and failed to notify the council of On Luck’s development plans when he was obligated to do.

The panel called for Mr Chuah to apologise, but he resigned from the council a week later, citing health reasons.