Monthly Archives: November 2018

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Weekend of ups and downs

WHAT a weekend it was for the Wingham Football Club!
Nanjing Night Net

Last weekend saw the women’s team record their third straight win for the season, reserve grade run away with their first win and first grade robbed of some points that should have been on the ladder.

The Wingham Women’s side travelled to Lansdowne to take on the Lions on their home turf.

What looked to be a tough challenge ahead unveiled to be an easy one for the girls as they won 3-1.

Calypso Watson looks to be in hot form this season scoring another for her third straight game. Also contributing to the scoreboard were Amba Brown and Bec Beale with important goals.

The ladies will take on the Tuncurry Tigers this weekend at home, looking to continue their winning streak. It will prove to be a tough game for them.

In Premier League the Warriors took on the Old Bar Barbarians which saw a mixture of frowns and grins as the reserve grade boys recorded their first of many victories to come and first grade robbed of victory.

With an early goal from Nick Beacham reserve grade were in fine form dominating the pitch, although Old Bar struck not long after bringing it to 1-1.

After the half time break an own goal from Wingham put Old Bar in front. A change in positioning saw Chris Boyd moved to the front which proved to be a successful move as he put away two goals into the back of the net.

A goal from James Thompson sealed the deal as the reserve grade boys put their first points on the table.

What could be dubbed as the worst decision this season saw Wingham first grade robbed of a possible win.

The Warriors were winning 1-0 with an amazing free kick from Mitch Bevitt as the ball floated over the bus load of Old Bar players packed into the wall, and curled back down into the left hand side of the net.

However a foul in the box handed Old Bar a penalty shot which they put away quickly. The scores were level at 1-1 and a Wingham player brought down in his own box which should have been a yellow card to the Old Bar player, but the referee saw it as a foul from Wingham and gave Old Bar another penalty shot, which was almost saved but again put away by Old Bar.

The game ended in a 2-1 loss as the boys walked away stunned.

This weekend in Premier League we will be at home again taking on Port United, the under 18s will be taking on Taree Wildcats in their second round clash after receiving the bye in the first round.

All your support is very much appreciated and to assist us through the season please continue it to come and cheer us on at games of all age groups.

Dylan Cowie on the attack for Wingham Warriors first grade at the sporting complex on Saturday.

Daniel Ihlow makes a clearing kick during the Warriors’ first grade match against Old Bar.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Security guards meet over Dandenong Hospital violence

SECURITY guards at Dandenong Hospital are meeting tomorrow over the summary dismissal of a colleague after one of a series of violent incidents in the emergency department.
Nanjing Night Net

Health Services Union state industrial officer Nathan Murphy said the incident was sparked by a patient punching a doctor’s face in the emergency department last month.

A guard ‘‘restrained the patient and was able to get the situation under control,’’ Mr Murphy said.

‘‘Later he was called into the office and received a summary dismissal without being given an opportunity to speak up for himself.

‘‘[Monash Health] are putting in policies that are making it more difficult for security to do its job.’’

Guards at Clayton and Dandenong hospitals are also concerned about long-running health and safety issues raised in a 2011 state inquiry , Mr Murphy said.

Their concerns mirror those of nurses who threatened to strike tomorrow over safety fears.

After talks with Monash Health this morning, Australian Nursing Federation state assistant secretary Paul Gilbert said tomorrow’s strike action would be called off if Monash Health ‘‘confirmed in writing’’ a set of agreed security measures.

Australian Nursing Federation members had demanded increased security, including for two dedicated security guards 24 hours a day at the emergency department and for clear protocols for dealing with unarmed and armed aggression against nurses.

‘‘We put three things to them and if what they confirm in writing what was spoken about in the meeting, the stop-work will not proceed.’’

A Monash Health spokeswoman said managers were ‘‘progressively implementing’’ recommendations from the 2011 state inquiry.

She said Dandenong Hospital was ‘‘in the process of working with staff’’ to introduce a Code Grey protocol — dealing with violent, unarmed people — by mid-year.

‘‘Dandenong Hospital is committed to a compressive approach to security with the implementation of even more CCTV and security personnel.

‘‘Monash Health looks forward to working with staff and stakeholders to ensure an even safer workplace environment is achieved.’’

It comes after a series of violent incidents at the emergency department including its waiting area being evacuated when a man threw concrete through the windows on Sunday. In recent months, a nurse was demoted for tackling an aggressive intruder, a nurse had part of her breast bitten off and another was threatened by a knife.

At the inquiry, a Dandenong Hospital emergency nurse submitted that her and colleagues were bitten, punched, slapped and had objects thrown at them by patients: “They pull their IVs out and throw bloodstained cannulas, sharps — any kind of weapon they can get their hands on, such as chairs — at the nursing staff.”

Local club ‘gutted’ by robbery

A SMALL community sports club is devastated after thieves stole more than $10,000 worth of equipment.
Nanjing Night Net

This week was meant to be a happy time for the Limestone Coast Remote Control Motor Car Club after they successfully hosted the first State titles conducted outside Adelaide.

Club secretary Mic Bellman said members were on a high following the titles event, but that that feeling was gone now.

“It was a pretty big high after pulling off the titles,” he said.

“It (the robbery) has left us gutted.”

When it came time to clean up after the event, members of the club came out to the Doolans Road track to find the shipping container housing their equipment opened and the gear gone.

The padlock had been cut.

Club president Michael Overland was in shock at the discovery.

“It’s pretty hard to believe in a small community that this could happen,” he said. “I just don’t know – (we have) just got to get on with it and work towards replacing it.”

Among the items stolen were two AMB timing decoders worth about $4000 apiece, two laptops, a PA amplifier, a 46-inch television monitor, a couple of fire extinguishers, an esky full of soft drinks and other items used to run race meets.

Most were owned by the club but some were the property of Kincraig Motors.

Baffling the club is the fact that the merchandise is practically useless to anyone not in the remote control racing game.

“It’s a very niche market for this gear, it’s only valuable to a RC club – no-one else,” Mr Overland said.

“It’d be very hard to sell.”

He said it had taken the club some time to get the gear.

“It has taken us years and years to acquire these assets that are needed to run proper events,” he said.

“To have that stripped from us is debilitating.”

Now the rebuild will start.

“We do have some insurance – that covers some of it,” he said.

“There’s a little bit of stuff not covered by the insurance so we’ll just have to work towards replacing it.”

Members hope the club will be back on its feet soon but Mr Overland was not so sure.

“It could be six months, it could be a couple of years,” he said.

He ruled out the club being able to run the State titles next year and said the running of other events later this year would be affected.

“We’re meant to be running a round of the tri-series later this year,” he said.

“It’s going to mean borrowing from other clubs and scraping every cent together that we can to get the facility back up to scratch.

“It’s going to be a real hard task to get back to where we were.”

Naracoorte police said the theft was believed to have occurred between 10am on April 22 and 1.30 on April 25, and urged any witnesses to contact them.

Limestone Coast Remote Control Motor Car Club president Michael Overland (left, holding daughter Matilda) and secretary Mic Bellman stand in front of the small office which housed the electronics used to run race events.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

No ticket credit for ferry users 

BAY island ferry usersare outraged after ferry operator BayIsland Transit Systems (BITS) said it would not honour ferry tickets withcredit after July 1.
Nanjing Night Net

Flyers from the ferry company said un-used credit on multi-triptickets would not be refunded and only TransLink tickets would be acceptedafter July 1.

“If you choose not to use the entire multi-trip ticket, thenit is your choice and you are not entitled to a refund on any unused portion ofthe ticket,” the flyer said.

Redlands MP Peter Dowling said negotiations were still underway between the ferry operator (BITS) and the state government’s TransLinkdepartment about redeeming credit on tickets.

“It’s not as if this has snuck up on us, we have known aboutthis for a long time,” Mr Dowling said.

“I don’t believe people will be disenfranchised and Ibelieve both parties will come to a common sense arrangement for the transitionperiod.

“The people who buy tickets from BITS enter an agreementwith BITS and if BITS does not provide that service then I am sure BITS will belooking at opportunities to reimburse or move them across to a differentticket.

“People who bought tickets against inflation took a gambleand the price of tickets has actually come down so it will be cheaper afterJuly1.

“There are a range of options open to people who have boughtmulti-trip tickets against inflation they can go and talk to neighbours andfriends and divest themselves of the tickets.”

Area manager Transit Systems Ferries David Thomson said ticketholders should address their concerns to Translink which would be taking over the service from BITS onJuly 1.

“TransLink has said categorically it will not redeem BITS tickets after July1 and we will not be able to because we won’t be running the service.”

The BITS decree raised angry comments from Lamb Island ratepayerEllen Ulrick and Macleay Island’s Gay Jones at this morning’s full meeting ofRedland City Council.

Both women also urged council to overturn an $88 levy onisland ratepayers to pay for the extension of the state government’s Translinkservice to the islands, which starts on July 1.

Both said they were disappointed island councillor Division5’s Mark Edwards did not raise the idea of a reprieve for islanders from the $88levy at the meeting.

Cr Edwards had planned to ask council to reassess the levy andlook at other funding options to pay for the extension of TransLink to theislands.

However, he withdrew his bid before the meeting.

“I was going to propose to the council to see if there was abetter way to fund the TransLink extension and it was my preference to fundthis extension across the entire city,” Cr Edwards said after the meeting.

Division 1 councillor Wendy Boglary said Cr Edwards’proposed motion was inflammatory and was only giving island residents “falsehope”.

“Spreading the levy across the entire city and not justtaxing island ratepayers will not work either,” Cr Boglary said.

“No ratepayer in Redlands should pay so the state government cansubsidise BITS, which will get less money in fares when cheaper Translink faresare introduced.

Bay Island Transit Systems has issued flyers claiming it will not allow unused multi-trip tickets after July 1. credit

“This should not become a fight between mainland residents and island residents.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Healthy intake of Indian workers

More than 100 people from the southern Indian state of Karala now work at the Orange Health ServiceMORE than 100 people from the southern Indian state of Karala now work at the Orange Health Service and the Bloomfield campus following a successful recruitment drive aimed at attracting international workers.
Nanjing Night Net

Member of the Orange Malayali Association (OMA) executive Sabu Joseph says his organisation represents 250 people from Kerala and he estimates at least 110 of them are employed in the healthcare sector in Orange and surrounding areas such as Molong.

Mr Joseph said OMA members had enjoyed a smooth transition into the local workplace with most planning to permanently “settle here”.

“Everyone’s been very welcoming, very supportive,” he said.

The director of nursing for mental health drug and alcohol at the Bloomfield campus Walter Zyla confirmed international recruits had made a valuable contribution to the workplace.

“We are fortunate to have attracted a number of overseas-trained staff to the Bloomfield campus,” Mr Zyla said.

“A majority of these registered nurses received their qualifications and trained in the UK and their skills are fully recognised by the Australian Registration Board.

“To have this cross-cultural influence in our workforce strengthens our service delivery and we value their contribution to the way we develop services which are sensitive to the community’s needs.”

Mr Zyla confirmed there were now 60 overseas-trained nurses working at the Bloomfield campus, including a number of nurses of Indian descent with both Indian and UK qualifications.

He estimates 20 percent of his workforce are overseas-trained.

Many of the nurses are employed on temporary work visas with the view that they will become permanent visas once the nurses have spent two years in that position.

OUR NURSES:

In 2013 Orange hospital has employed eight nurses from the UK, India and the Philippines with one UK-trained midwife to take a position with the Orange Health Service soon.

In 2013 year the Bloomfield campus employed three registered nurses of Indian descent.

The Orange Health Service* recruited 20 overseas-trained nurses in 2012.

The Bloomfield campus recruited 66 overseas-trained nurses in 2012.

There are 450 nurses on staff (full time, part time and casual) at the Orange Health Service.

* The Orange Health Service refers to Orange hospital staff and health workers operating within the community, excluding the Bloomfield campus.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.