Monthly Archives: October 2018

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Singing for a King and Queen

Source: Bayside Bulletin
Nanjing Night Net

Queensland Soprano Mirusia Louwerse last nightperformed with Andre Rieu on stage at Museum Square in Amsterdam, Netherlands for the inauguration of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands abdicated after 23 years on the throne. Her son, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander is now king.

VIDEO: singing “Time to Say Goodbye” with violinist Andre Rieu.

Mirusia spoke with ABC Radio after herperformance.

“It’s been an incredible experience,” she said.

“I’ve never seen anything like it in my life before: It’s a party here 24/7.”

She performed with International violinist Andre Rieu, singing “Time to Say Goodbye”

“To stand on stage with Andre again – it felt like being at home. It was amazing and wonderful. I really enjoyed every moment,” she said.

“What an honour to be asked to sing before the King and Queen. Thanks to Andre I was able to experience the most amazing moment in my life, “Mirusia said.

Just last weekend, Mirusia was performing at the Dutch Fest at Birkdale.

Birkdale Soprano Mirusia Louwerse and Andre Rieu perform on stage at Museumplien during the inauguration of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Birkdale Soprano Mirusia Louwerse and Andre Rieu perform on stage at Museumplien during the inauguration of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands takes an oath as he stands alongside Queen Maxima of the Netherlands during his inauguration in front of a joint session of the two houses of the States General at Nieuwe Kerk. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands takes an oath as he stands alongside Queen Maxima of the Netherlands during his inauguration in front of a joint session of the two houses of the States General at Nieuwe Kerk. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands, Queen Maxima of the Netherlands and their daughters Princess Catharina Amalia, Princess Ariane and Princess Alexia of the Netherlands wave to the crowd. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands pose with guests. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands pose with guests. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands pose with guests. Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Tigers oh so close!

THE 2013 Group 3 Rugby League season kicked off on Saturday afternoon at the Wingham Sporting Complex with the home team up against last year’s grand-finalists, the Port City Breakers.
Nanjing Night Net

It was the visitors who scored first after a chip and chase on the last tackle for a 4-0 lead.

Wingham hit back with a try to Kiwi import Logan Pocklington. Matt Bridge’s kick gave the Tigers a 6-4 lead after 10 minutes.

Port City responded with two more tries to lead 14-6 midway through the first half.

Another import from across the ditch, Riki Toby, then crossed for the Tigers. After the Matt Bridge conversion, the home team trailed by 14-12.

The Breakers had a slice of luck with their next try when a bomb landed near the dead ball line then bounced back for the visitors to score.

Right on half time, Logan Pocklington barged his way over the line for another try. Matt Bridge was successful with the kick, and Port City went to the break leading 20-18.

Port City went further ahead early in the second stanza, after getting away with a knock on by their winger, and following that up with a penalty after the ball was lost in a tackle. The resulting try made the score 26-18.

But in a 10 minute spell, the Tigers put on three tries to Joel Kleindeinst, Tepuhi (TJ) Rudolph and Riki Toby, and conversions to Matt Bridge and Michael Rees for a 34-26 advantage midway through the second half.

The Breakers’ next try was controversial. Michael Rees then scored in the corner to give the Tigers a 38-32 lead with a quarter of an hour remaining.

But Port City did hit back with an unconverted try.

Inside the last 10 minutes, Mark Fahey scored in the corner to make the score 42-36, and the Tigers were finishing strongly. But hearts were broken in the final minute with another Breakers try. The conversion right on the siren made the final score 42-42.

Wingham District 42 drew with Port City 42 (Logan Pocklington 2, Riki Toby 2, Joel Kleindeinst, Tepuhi Rudolph, Michael Rees, Mark Fahey tries, Matt Bridge 4, Michael Rees goals).

Reserve grade

THE Tigers’ reserve grade team led Port City 16-8 at half time with tries to Joel Kleindeinst, Ryan McIntosh and Luke Steel, with conversions to Luke Steel and Tim Rees.

The visitors scored midway through the half, and again just before the break. Veteran Brenden Summerfield put the Tigers further ahead early in the second stanza, and the Breakers responded with the home team leading 20-14.

Wingham then added tries to Alex Studdert, Jordy Styles and Tim Rees, with conversions to Luke Steel and Tim Rees.

A last minute try to Port City made the final score 38-18.

Wingham District 38 defeated Port City 18 (Joel Kleindeinst, Ryan McIntosh, Luke Steel, Brenden Summerfield, Alex Studdert, Jordy Styles, Tim Rees tries, Luke Steel 3, Tim Rees 2 goals).

Under 18s

The Wingham Tigers under 18s team led 10-6 at half time after early tries to Shannon Ellem and Blake Sky, with a conversion by Brodie Myer.

Tries by Jake Mullen, Michael Bailey and Brodie Myer, with goals to Brodie Myer and Tim Bridge extended Wingham’s lead to 26-6 midway through the half. The Breakers pulled one back before Jake Mullen scored his second try to seal victory 30-10.

Wingham District 30 defeated Port City 10 (Jake Mullen 2, Shannon Ellem, Blake Sky, Michael Bailey, Brodie Myer tries, Brodie Myer 2, Tim Bridge goals).

Michael Rees scored a try and kicked a goal in Wingham Tigers’ first grade clash against Port City Breakers at the sporting complex on Saturday. The game resulted in a 42-all draw against last year’s grand-finalists.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

So chillingly gruesome the US won’t air it, but we will

Mads Mikkelsen stars as Dr Hannibal Lecter in this unsettling update of Thomas Harris’ novels.Channel Seven will screen a controversial episode of US drama Hannibal that was pulled by American network NBC in the wake of the Boston bombings.
Nanjing Night Net

The episode, titled Ceuf, features a storyline about children being brainwashed into murdering their families.

It opens with a graphic scene of a woman being killed, then cuts to a family slumped dead at their dinner table, with gruesome imagery of their uneaten roast and blood-spattered sideboard.

It emerges from they been killed by one of their own: a son who had been abducted. The child had been told by his captor that his parents hadn’t bothered to rescue him because they didn’t love him.

Later in the episode, another family is found slain on Christmas morning. Most have been shot are are lying in their armchairs, except for one charred corpse that is discovered in the fireplace.

Hannibal producer Bryan Fuller asked NBC not to air the episode, citing the Newtown school massacre and the Boston Marathon attack. NBC, however, released the episode online a few days later.

Locally, it will air at 10.30pm on Wednesday, May 8, with an AV15+ rating, which signifies that the episode contains strong violence.

Channel Seven spokeswoman Susan Wood told Fairfax Media: “It’s a serialised show and we have respect for that process.

“Having said that, and bearing in mind the events overseas, we’ve pushed back that particular episode to 10.30pm.

“It does move around the schedule a bit and sometimes airs as early as 9.30pm, so we made sure this episode aired a bit later in a strictly adults only timeslot.”

After NBC cancelled the episode, a Salt Lake City affiliate dropped Hannibal entirely.

The decision comes a fortnight after US network ABC delayed an episode of Castle involving a bomb.

In December, the Syfy channel pulled an episode of Haven involving school violence after the Newtown shootings.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Stuck trucks: new measures to punish operators

Wedged … a truck that was too tall for the express way under the Domain. Photo: Rick Stevens Tight fit … over-length trucks can cause major traffic delays in Galston Gorge. Photo: Domino Postiglione
Nanjing Night Net

Over-height trucks that wedge themselves in tunnels and block traffic will have their registration suspended for up to three months under new regulations announced on Wednesday.

The measures, which add to already heavy fines and penalties for drivers who fail to head height or length limits, follow a number of incidents where trucks have blocked tunnels and added to Sydney’s already crippling traffic.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay said that by the end of June it would also be easier for Roads and Maritime Services to pursue trucking companies for the cost of removing over-height trucks from tunnels and over-length trucks from narrow passes.

“I think everyone in Sydney in recent times has experienced the inconvenience where people inexplicably driven heavy vehicles either into a tunnel, or … Galston Gorge and held up traffic and stopped the commerce and the family life for people in this city for minutes, hours, and nearly days in some cases,” Mr Gay said.

In Sydney, over-height trucks can become wedged in the M5 tunnel, the Sydney Harbour Tunnel, and under a number of rail bridges and overpasses.

In November, an over-height truck caused extensive damage to the ceiling of the M5 tunnel after driving for at least 200 metres down the tunnel.

There is also a history of long trucks getting stuck on the tight bends of the Galston Gorge, between Galston and Hornsby.

In the past year there have been 12 trucks fined for getting stuck in the Gorge, where there is a length restriction of 7.5 metres.

Every time this happens it takes a minimum of 30 minutes to remove a truck, according to the government, and the process can take as long as four hours.

For drivers, penalties of $2200 and the loss of six demerit points already apply for driving into areas over-height or over-length, but the measures announced on Wednesday will target the companies they work for.

Under the measures, the drivers will not have their licences automatically suspended. Instead, the truck will be suspended for three months. This will also apply to over-height trucks.

It will also become easier to pursue trucking companies for financial damages, Mr Gay said.

“We will be changing the regulations so that the chain of responsibility will now, at our discretion, be able to be applied to people that have dispatched those vehicles,” the minister said.

“If they’ve put them on an incorrect route, they will have to bear part of that cost. At the very least, the company that employs these drivers and these operators will know that they face potentially the costs of what’s happening.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Packed-in Pyrmont is Australia’s most densely populated suburb

Dense living … Pyrmont-Ultimo has the highest population density in Australia. Photo: James AlcockIt was once known for wharves, shipyards and stores. But the neighbourhood of Pyrmont-Ultimo has a new distinction: it is Australia’s most densely populated suburb.
Nanjing Night Net

New figures from the Bureau of Statistics show Pyrmont-Ultimo had 13,850 residents a square kilometre in June 2012.

It was one of four suburbs that ring Sydney’s CBD with population densities of more than 13,000 residents a square kilometre. The others were Potts Point-Woolloomooloo (13,600) , Darlinghurst (13,200) and Surry Hills (13,070).

Inner-city Melbourne had the next highest density, at 10,100 people a square kilometre. In Brisbane, the New Farm area had the highest population density, with 6000 people a square kilometre.

But Australia’s most densely populated suburbs aren’t nearly as crowded as districts in some other world cities. Hong Kong’s Kwun Tong district has a population density of more than 54, 000 people per square kilometre. The borough of Manhattan in New York City has a population density of over 25,000 people per square kilometre.

Eight of Australia’s 10 most densely populated statistical areas are in Sydney. But population density falls rapidly with distance from the CBD.

At Bondi Beach, it was 8800 residents a square kilometre, and in Redfern-Chippendale it was 8400. Marrickville’s population density was 4530 per square km while in the Ku-ring-gai area the average falls to less than 1400 a square kilometre.

In Camden, on the city’s fringe, the figure was less than 500.

The bureau said the combined population of Australia’s capital cities rose by 271,700 in the year to 2012. More than 15 million people – close to two-thirds of Australia’s population – were residing in one of the capitals.

At the other end of the scale, there were over 200 statistical districts with population densities of less than one person per square kilometre, the bureau said. The majority were in Queensland, Western Australia and New South Wales.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.